The Hindu Editorial VOCAB 25 May 2022
PRIGGISH (adjective) : परोपदेशक
- Meaning: self-righteously moralistic and superior.
- अर्थ: स्वयंभू रूप से नैतिक और श्रेष्ठ।
- Synonyms: smug, sanctimonious, moralistic, prudish.
- Antonyms: broad-minded, permissive, overstrung, uptight.
- Usage: After living with his wife for 30 years, the husband was tired of the nagging and demands made by his priggish woman.
AIL (verb) : बीमार करना
- Meaning: trouble or afflict (someone) in mind or body.
- अर्थ:मन या शरीर में कष्ट या कष्ट (किसी को)।
- Synonyms: trouble, bother, burden, distress.
- Antonyms: heartiness, robustness, soundness, wholeness.
- Usage: All patients can do is trust that the strangers on their health care team are competent and caring enough to do their best to help correct whatever ails the patient.
Vacillate(verb) : अस्थायी
- Meaning: Waiver between different opinion or actions.
- अर्थ: विभिन्न मतों या कार्यों के बीच में छूट।
- Synonym: temporize, hesitate, oscillate
- Antonym: resolute
- Usage: You might vacillate between ordering pizza and burger as both are testy.
Molder(verb) : टुकड़े टुकड़े हो जाना
- Meaning: Slowly decay or disintegrate, especially because of neglect.
- अर्थ: धीरे-धीरे क्षय या विघटन, विशेषकर उपेक्षा के कारण।
- Synonym: decay, decompose
- Antonym: Renew, restore
- Usage: if you store your books in the damp basement of your uncle’s house, they are sure to molder.
REPRISAL(Noun) : प्रतिहिंसा
- Meaning: an act of retaliation.
- अर्थ: प्रतिशोध का एक कार्य।
- Synonym: retaliation, counterattack
- Antonym: pardon, remission
- Usage: He felt secure enough in his information that he announced his opinion on the matter without fear of reprisal.
REVULSION (noun) : घृणा
- Meaning: a sense of disgust and loathing.
- अर्थ: घृणा और घृणा का भाव।
- Synonyms: abhorrence, repugnance, nausea, detestation.
- Antonyms: penchant, predilection, preference, propensity.
- Usage: Widespread public revulsion at the executions exacerbated a growing alienation from the British administration in Ireland.
POCOCURANTE (adjective) : विरक्त
- Meaning: indifferent or unconcerned.
- अर्थ: उदासीन या असंबद्ध।
- Synonyms: apathetic, listless, insouciant, nonchalant.
- Antonyms: overprotective, prudent, absorbed, concerned.
- Usage: Since the boy didn’t plan on doing his homework anyway, his pococurante look on his face did not change when the teacher assigned the 10-page essay.
Meticulous(Adjective) : सूक्ष्म
- Meaning: showing great attention to detail; very careful and precise.
- अर्थ: विस्तार पर बहुत ध्यान देना; बहुत सावधान और सटीक।
- Synonym: careful, conscientious
- Antonym: careless, sloppy, slapdash
- Usage: The painter gave meticulous attention to detail.
Unprecedented (adjective) : अभूतपूर्व
- Meaning:never done or known before.
- अर्थ: पहले कभी नहीं किया या जाना जाता है।
- Synonym: unequalled, unmatched, unrivalled.
- Antonym: precedented, familiar, usual.
- Usage:The damage caused by the hurricane is unprecedented and has never been experienced before in this country.